Welcome to the Firework Campaign Official Website.
Our aim is to restore some much needed peace to our communities.
Before we get into the chat, we invite you to do a little campaigning.
- We have a new 2020 government petition which asks for firework sales only to organizers of licenced displays. Now standing at over 279,492 https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/319891
We explain this petition and the recent government reply here. The government always answer a petition that reaches 10,000. Their reply is very seldom a positive one. We shall, nevertheless, carry on.
2. We also have a current change.org petition, please sign and share, at time of writing we are at 756,085. We would very much like to get to 1 million..
3. Please log any fireworks you hear from your house, we are trying to build up a picture of firework use to take back to government when the petition reaches 1 million.
4. The RSPCA have this action which emails your local councillor, this has had some success so far and we would like to push that further. Please complete the form.
NOW FOR THE REASON WE ARE SO BUSY CAMPAIGNING.
Many of you will be aware of the distress and sometimes injury and death caused to animals, our dogs, cats, rabbits, horses in field and stable as well as livestock and wildlife. But how many people realise the distress caused by these random fireworks to the young child who cannot sleep or is woken during the night, the elderly having lived through the 2nd World War are thrown back into a time they would rather forget. The returning military personnel having served their country now fighting the battle with PTSD made worse not only by the fireworks themselves but the residual smell that hangs in the air. There are many illnesses which are made worse by the sudden heart thumping bangs, whistles and screeches of fireworks. During the winter months the use of fireworks has become an almost daily traumatic intrusion into our lives, we hope that by highlighting these facts and promoting our campaign that more people realise the devastation their back garden ‘fun’ can have on others around them. We hope you will help us to do just that, by signing and sharing our petition. We want you to know that you are not alone, we are not a minority, we just need to be heard. As a group we are constantly evolving, what started out as an animals group has become an inclusive group for all people who have negative feelings about fireworks.
Did you know you can easily write to your MP via this link: https://www.writetothem.com/
Don’t forget to include:
- How fireworks affect you, your loved ones, your pets, your neighbours
- Facts and figures on how often they occur
- Specific questions, especially if this is not the first time you have contacted them
- Ask them what they will be doing to address your concerns
Ideas for questions to ask:
- The government believes that most people use fireworks at appropriate times
- When do they consider is an appropriate time
- What evidence do they have to prove their belief?
- The government say it is a balance between those that like fireworks and those that don’t. They believe we are a minority
- How have they come to that calculation? And how is 365 days a year a balance?
- Have they asked the question “Do we want restrictions?” …………or have they again gone on ‘their belief’ with NO evidence?
- How many people have to be suffering before we become more important (comparably) than back garden fireworks out of season? Do you have a figure in mind?