Tragic and senseless loss

From one of our members in Wales…..

So very sad. We lost our loyal and beloved Bella last night. She died because of the  New Years fireworks in our village. She was in the house with my son, TV was on full volume, curtains closed. We knew she hated fireworks, but not enough to sedate her,  so I thought. This time, as soon as she heard the fireworks she first hid behind the TV and then she came out and fell down by my son’s side and was dead.

He phoned me at 12.08 am, I ran home nothing could be done, she had no symptoms of heart problems, she was running in the field at 6.30pm happy as usual.

We are devastated to have lost her in this frightening way. Such a shame and it was all because of fireworks.

Bella was only 5yrs old and was a lifeline for my son who suffers from depression, his best friend.

I am hoping all fireworks will be banned or even if they used ones with less noise, it would help our beloved pets.       … Ann

Beautiful, loyal, trustworthy, fun, happy Bella.  Someones best friend……

15841508_10154924899202612_636900062_n

SIGN HERE please to help FAB stop random fireworks. Read our HOME PAGE to see what we are about…

Please report every incidence of fireworks you hear on our FIREWORK LOG. We are collecting data to prove to the government that random fireworks do occur……They insist fireworks are mostly limited to traditional dates already. We know that is not the case.

Please WRITE TO YOUR MP and let them know how you feel.. If you don’t tell them they will continue to deny the problem.

FAB are asking the government to restrict public USE of fireworks to traditional dates. That works out about 10 days a year. So you can still have them in your gardens around Guy Fawkes and New Year, Diwali and Chinese New Year.. There will still be displays and fireworks competitions as there are now, just no random unexpected fireworks to frighten people and animals.

#fabuk

Advertisements

It’s not you…it’s all the others!

But just to help….

Don’t drink and drive

Don’t text and drive

Don’t do anything to detract from your concentration…..it’s not you, it’s the other idiots on the road you have to watch out for.

Oh… and other than NYE please don’t celebrate with fireworks…. 5th Nov has long gone and people won’t be expecting them. Animals will be scared and some will be lost/killed/injured, some people will be scared too…. Have a thought for your elderly neighbour, at least warn them …

Please take extra care over the holidays.

SIGN HERE please to help FAB stop random fireworks. Read our HOME PAGE to see what we are about…

Please report every incidence of fireworks you hear on our FIREWORK LOG. We are collecting data to prove to the government that random fireworks do occur……They insist fireworks are mostly limited to traditional dates already. We know that is not the case.

Please WRITE TO YOUR MP and let them know how you feel.. If you don’t tell them they will continue to deny the problem.

FAB are asking the government to restrict public USE of fireworks to traditional dates. That works out about 10 days a year. So you can still have them in your gardens around Guy Fawkes and New Year, Diwali and Chinese New Year.. There will still be displays and fireworks competitions as there are now, just no random unexpected fireworks to frighten people and animals.

#fabuk

 

 

Clydesdale foal

This is a year old Clydesdale foal, he collapsed in shock and pain after being trapped in a fence during a fireworks display at a local hotel.( The wedding venue started very extensive displays sometimes a few times per week). The horse IS NOT sedated, the vet was an hour away as we live in the country. His hind leg was cut down to the cannon bone, we are still struggling to get his leg healed several weeks later.  I had to share this , as yet again tonight we will experience firework # no need ! There are low decibel fireworks available for such events but the hotel owner isn’t interested

Chrome’s story

chromePLEASE THINK BEFORE SETTING OFF FIREWORKS!!! We lost the beautiful College View Chrome last night because a group of very educated people thought it was appropriate that after 12 hours of incredibly loud music a massive firework display at midnight would be an ideal way to end a concert in a rural area surrounded by livestock. They took the time to warn their own Tennant Farmer and the neighbours with no livestock yet overlooked approaching the people with livestock next door. Unfortunately Chrome was spooked and ended up breaking his shoulder. I wonder did these people bring their own dogs or cats to view the firework extravaganza? Of course not that would be ridiculous and cruel who would put their beloved animal through something like that!? Such a shame that no thought was given to all the animals both domestic and wild that had no choice only to be next to it! And for what so a few hundred people not satisfied with a day of live music, a fun fare, sports and God knows what else could look up open mouthed at the sparkly lights for a few minutes because that’s what made the difference of it being a good day or not! The funny thing is it was a beautiful clear night with all the stars out a much more beautiful sight than some ridiculous explosions. To top it all there wasn’t even an active phone number to get anyone in charge to speak to and despite my going round and explaining ( polite way of putting what I did )that their fireworks had caused injury to one of our beautiful foals who looked like might not make it no one has made any attempt to get in touch today to see what the outcome was. I’m sure they are all across the road patting each other on the back at the great success of it all.

Spider’s story

spider4Warning —-  VERY graphic photos at bottom of this page.

What a difference a day makes..!
Yesterday, I posted a few fun images of our junior stallion throwing a tantrum. It was amusing, light hearted and typical of the type of daily challenge we face working with young horses.
However, today I feel compelled to share something rather less pleasant.
Last November we suffered a terrible catastrophe due to the irresponsible misuse of fireworks. We live in the heart of a village, surrounded by countryside. The open spaces that both bisect and surround the glorious part of the world are owned and managed by livestock farmers. We store hay, straw, diesel and a variety of flammable chemicals. More importantly we live for and by the welfare of our animals. Animals hate fireworks! They are frightened, panicked, have no understanding of the terrifying noise, lights and the sheer unexpected and unfamiliar horror of these unnecessary explosions.
On ‘Firework Night’ last year we lost a weaned foal, nearly lost a stallion, had many minor abrasions and had several mares abort their foetuses. The fireworks rained down on our farm, causing both fires and absolute pandemonium inside our barns housing the animals.
The following post that I made in anger went viral and I felt compelled to remove it as the arguments among those commenting became deeply unpleasant and dark.
Last night, for some inexplicable reason another neighbour made the decision to set off fireworks on the hill above our pasture currently home to over fifty horses grazing peacefully in various paddocks. They were huge, noisy and ferocious in their chaotic splitting of the night sky.
For twenty minutes all we could hear was the deafening sound of galloping hooves in the dark, the horses ran blind in their confusion and fear. They ran into fences and each other, foals were toppled to the ground in the melee.
Our youngsters paddock was the worst, the furthest from the house and the closest to the fireworks, they either ran or jumped the fences seeking sanctuary in another neighbours garden.
We have many with cuts and bruising, a young two year old stallion prospect is on three legs with horrendous fetlock swelling, some are worse than others but by and large we were lucky to not have worse.
We have spent the day bringing horses in and out for treatment, the wonderful Emma Travis of Cheltenham Equine Vets gave up her sunday morning with her family and treated each patient.
The worst affected, was a yearling called Spider. He is a lovely natured and very beautiful black gelding who was due to be vetted for a sale pending. He will be staying here now until his injuries have healed. He will always be scarred and his recuperation will be lengthy. I am posting photos which are more graphic in the comments as I believe that it is personal choice as to whether anyone wishes to view the results of our neighbours fun!
Please can everyone think before setting off fireworks? They can cause terrible damage and fear. Thank you.

This is Spider, he is 1 year old.
Can you imagine his fear? Can you imagine his pain?
Are back garden, domestic fireworks really worth it?

This slideshow requires JavaScript.