Chronicle Live 30 OCT 2016
Meet the schoolboy who has launched an appeal to ban fireworks because of the danger they pose to animals.
Tyler Walker, 10, was left devastated after finding the body of missing dog, Shearer, washed up on the beach’s shore on 23 October.
The dog had been at the centre of a region-wide appeal to locate him.
Tyler, from New Marske, said: “I was with my dad and we went for a walk with our dogs.
“I went down by the edge and the dog was there. It was a bit sad.”
Shearer, a nine-year-old border collie named after Newcastle United Football Club legend Alan Shearer, went missing on 17 October after he was spooked by people setting off fireworks.
His owners launched a Facebook campaign to spread the word that Shearer was missing in hopes it would bring the dog home safe.
Tyler was so impacted by the unfortunate discovery and how the beloved dog died that he began researching the dangers of fireworks.
He then made a video asking for a ban of fireworks because of the injuries they could cause to animals.
Tyler said: “I wanted to raise the fact that people are losing their pets from fireworks.
“I spent about three or four hours researching and writing it.
“I think fireworks should be banned because people could lose their pets very easily. There should be licenses.”
Tyler’s mam Janye Walker, 44, said she is proud that her son is taking a stand against fireworks and educating people in his age group.
She said: “He has always been an animal person.
“He has turned this negative experience into a positive one.
“He is letting people know how fireworks affect animals and people, and getting people informed of how dangerous it is.” In the video Tyler says: “Using fireworks near animals is both cruel and inhumane. Fireworks cause immense fear and stress. Animals who are too close to firework explosions often suffer significant burns and eye damage.
“As we encountered, dogs easily can just jump into the sea and get washed up somewhere else dead. In my opinion, this is devastating news. Imagine this with your pet.
“Fireworks are dangerous, keep them away and please ban fireworks from public sale.”